"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou


Wednesday, August 03, 2011

I am Proud Mary

So remember that time when I said that I would totally blog on a weekly basis? And then I never did? And then I didn't blog for a month? Yeah, good times.

I have a really hard time sticking to schedule, to be honest. But at least I admit my inability to dedicate myself to writing stuff. A friend of mine (an aspiring author, to be exact) said to me the other day that she was jealous of the fact that I could pick a topic and just go with it. JEALOUS! Of MY writing! I'm still not entirely convinced that she was, in fact, reading MY blog and not someone else's who looked suspiciously like me and/or happened to have the same pictures and profile... Am I flattered? Yes. But on the other hand, I tend to dwell on silly and mundane things. But I suppose those can sometimes make for entertaining reading...

In other news, I have been volun-told  that I am my company representative in the Calgary Corporate Challenge Idol Competition, and I will be performing in the preliminaries at the Winkin' Owl Pub on August 15th at 7 pm. It's essentially glorified karaoke, which is totally cool. If the title wasn't enough to give it away, I'll be singing Proud Mary. Because I'm awesome. In the style of Tina Turner, of course. Everyone needs a little diva in their lives! She brings so much soul to the table, I hope I can embody even a little bit of it! I'm just gonna go out there and give it all I've got and do what I'm best at. EVERYONE SHOULD COME. If I'm chosen to be part of the top 25 performers, I will move on to the Finals at the CCC Midway Party on September 15th. And I plan very much on winning. I think it'll be a good time, actually. This will be the first time that my company has ever officially competed in the Idol competition and we're drumming up a fair amount of interest! I'm pretty excited to see the turnout. I've heard that it's been pretty solid in years past, so hopefully I can get a lot of support...and let's be honest, I'm also out for some recognition. I'm kind of a press-whore, so I'll take whatever promotion I can get! It's nice to be on stage again.

On that note (see what I did there? Note? HAH! I'm hilarious.); I leave you with the SOTD. Can you guess what it is? Is it...Proud Mary?
...
...
...JOKE'S ON YOU!!! It's not. I GOT YOU! YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE! Win. Man I'm awesome.

In all seriousness though, this is Matt Costa performing the Ballad of Miss Kate. Pretty rad, and I've recently fallen in love with this album (Songs We Sing) and you should all listen. I thank ye!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for your CCC idol debut!! I'm totally going to be there to cheer you on, cuz you're awesome and I'm so excited to see a stellar performance!! PS - the Sotd is pretty rad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, Shani! I'm pretty psyched, too... Tell all your friends to come, too! I need an entourage, you know! And you should listen to Matt Costa a lot, because he most certainly is rad. :P Miss your face!

    ReplyDelete