"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou


Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You know what really grinds my gears?

I have a rant.

It drives me bonkers when you offer to help someone and they decline; not for the reason that they don't need help, but declining so that they can play the martyr. THAT, my friends, makes me crazy. I'll hear this person complain about having no help for the next forever-and-a-day, and I'll just swallow my RAGE and smile and nod and pretend to be sympathetic when really all I want to do is smack them upside the head and tell them that I TRIED to help but noooo...you have to do everything by yourself so that you look like a hero. BAH, I say.

There. I feel better. It's amazing how the written (slash, typed) word can make you feel so much better about something. Paper/computer screens are good listeners, I suppose. I've also been told that answering machines and voicemail work well, too...

That ended up being significantly shorter than I thought. That's disappointing...I suppose I just need to find something else worth talking about, yes?

You know what I love? The internet. I just googled "Random Topics" and the top result was for a Random Blog Topic Generator. What a bit of serendipity, eh? Boo yeah. New topic: writing your own music. You know, I dabble in composition from time to time, but it's not really a big strength of mine. I took Music Composition for two years in high school, released my own CD (on a VERY small scale. Because I'm poor.) and did some work with a composer friend in college, but it's not something that I would ever really be able to do exclusively. That being said, however, I'm pretty good when it comes to arranging music. There are a great number of university and college groups, as well as independent groups that will perform popular radio hits that have been arranged a capella (voices only), and I've started down the path of creating these arrangements myself. It's simply another form of expressing and performing and it's also a blast to do. Time consuming as all hell if you're still in the dinosaur age and hand-writing the arrangements, but it's still a righteous way to occupy my mind.

Speaking of a cappella groups, here's a men's group called These Guys from LA, California performing a totally groovy medley that you may find worthy of a listen and perhaps a...SOTD?? See how I threw that in there? Oh, me.

I'd love to hear if anyone else arranges or has any interest in it! GIVE ME FUEL FOR DISCUSSION!! Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment